Sunday 28 October 2012

Christmas Placemats & Itty Bittty Pinwheels

I played this week with a couple of new projects. The first was the 4 fat quarter placemates. I hadn't planned on doing this but they were in "Quilters World" December 2012. In it they didn't do the easy cutting method, but they look the same. The colours didn't show up true on the picture I just took. They look more orange and light green, rather than red and green, but the picture does give you the idea of what they are. You cut out four 18" x 18" squares, slice them horizontally, rotate the colours and sew them back together. Then you slice them vertically, rotate them and sew them back together, trim the edges and a strip across the bottom (can be added to the backing to make them more decorative). This is what you end up with. I just need to cut out backing and batting sew them together and then quilt them. Very quick and easy! I attended an open class at my local quilt store Tuesday night, and got instructions on how to make a chenille rug from three panels. I finished it late on Wednesday. I love it! This is a Stonehenge panel from Northcott. I am really pleased with the way it turned out. This close-up gives you an idea of the texture you end up with! The other thing I worked on this week was 2 1/2" squares for my Itty Bitty Pinwheels. As usual I got carried away and ended up with 20 x 20 = 400 squares. I will go crazy sewing these together and then cutting the pinwheels out with the little template which is only 1 1/2" square. I played around with the pattern a bit and came up with this layout. I hope it will result in a nice pinwheel pattern when I am done. The print at the side will be my border fabric. Here is a close-up to let you see the border fabric better. I bought it back in May (2012) so it isn't too old! I am back at work for the next couple of weeks. I am hoping to have enough energy to sew a bunch of the 400 squares together and get the border cut and sewn on, but that might be a little optimistic! Then, I have to use my small cutter to cut it all into the 1 1/2" squares and then sew all of those together! Maybe I would do better sewing the sashing onto my blocks of the month? I will let you know next week! Have a good one and enjoy your sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment