Sunday 9 September 2012

Fun Quilting

I had a great deal of fun sewing in the past two weeks. First of all a model for my granddaughter's dog scarf. This is Stella! I finally got back to my block of the month and finished what I thought was the final eight blocks. It was the final eight blocks of the pattern, but as usual I wanted to change from a single bed to a double or even maybe a queen. As a result, I needed six more blocks. The series of patterns is done, so I made up my own. I just took some of the left over strips and started making HSTs and squares. I spread these out on my table and played around until I had some interesting ideas and then cut a few more things to complete the ideas and ended up with some pretty and mixed up (more than two colour) blocks. Then it was on to my design wall to get them mixed in with the regular blocks. I think that I am satisfied with this arrangement. This is all thirty 8" blocks. The pattern now calls for a 2.5" (mine will be 3") frame to be sewn around each block, with HSTs in each corner. I have changed this, so that I can use up most of the 2.5" Thangles (cut from 3" strips) that are left over from making the blocks, rather than buying a package of 2" Thangles. I am really not thrilled with using Thangles, so can't see the point of getting any more. To be different, I have chosen five different fabrics to do this frame. I don't want these to be in any set pattern, but I always have trouble getting a scattered look, but I will try. I will also be increasing the width of the sashing, the frame (1st border) around all the squares and the final border, once I decide whether it is going to be a double or a queen size quilt. This is what I have really been working on since I started my vacation! Lots more hexagons! The four at the top right haven't been sewn on yet. The single hexagons across the top and down part of the left side are really piles of cut out hexagons to make more flowers. This project has been on my dining room table for so long, that I think I might end up making it into a large table runner for this table. Usually my sewing projects stay in my sewing room until finished, but it has been far easier to plan this one out closer to where I am working on it, in the living room while I watched the Olympics and then the US Open tennis. My husband seems to have gotten used to my company, so I shouldn't have trouble continuing this project in the living room in the evenings, while working on my blocks during the days. It is a good thing that I have a nice long vacation as I have quite a few things that I want to get going on. Have a great week and happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment